Sexual Health Promotion (1:1 Support) Referral
The Sexual Health Promotion Service is able to provide a range of sexual health promotion services, including 1-1 work across Hampshire, Portsmouth & Southampton. We are part of an Integrated Sexual Health Service that includes GU Medicine, HIV, Sexual & Reproductive Health and Termination of Pregnancy services.
The locality based sexual health promotion team work in the community, often with partner organisations to improve the sexual health of vulnerable young people and adults, regardless of gender, sexuality, race or cultural background. A particular focus of our work is with those populations who are at increased risk of poor sexual health. We aim to increase an individual’s self-awareness and provide brief advice or brief interventions to those identified at high risk.
Trained and supervised Sexual Health Promotion Practitioners can provide Motivational Interviewing (MI), enhanced listening skills and sex & relationships education to empower clients to make informed choices about their lifestyles.
Clients who may be suitable for referral include:
• Young people with identified vulnerabilities who are considered at risk of sexual exploitation, poor sexual health, unintended pregnancy or sexually transmitted infections
• MSM of all ages at risk of poor sexual health outcomes
• Individuals from BME populations at increased risk of HIV transmission
What can we offer?
• Initial health assessment using evidence based tools such as the RAT for U16’s and U18 if vulnerable, to identify sexual health needs, level of sexual risk and plan appropriate intervention
• 1-1 brief intervention and behaviour change programme delivered with onward referral to specialist services as needed
• Information, brief advice and guidance to increase the use of effective contraception methods and to promote safer sex practices
• Advocacy support to access specialist Sexual Health Services including Health Advisors, Specialist Sexual Health Nurses, HIV Consultants and GU Medicine
• Where appropriate provide ‘point of care’ testing to include ‘Quick Check’ for HIV and Chlamydia
• Condom distribution and pregnancy testing
• Onward referral to community support organisations such as Positive Action, Youth Support Services and Chrysalis (Supporting transitioning transgender people)
Who can refer?
• Health Advisors & Clinical Nurse Specialists
• Specialist Sexual Health Outreach Nurses
• HIV, GUM & SRH Doctors and Consultants
• GP’s & Practice Nurses
• Any voluntary organisation working with vulnerable young people and adults
• Mental Health and LD Teams
• School Nurses and Health Visitors
• Professionals working with young people & adults who have been identified at risk of poor sexual health and are unable to have their needs met.
We are a Level 3 Sexual Health Service and want to support organisations to meet non complex sexual health needs. If you wish to access our training, request group work or to make an individual referral please complete our referral form and return to us at SNHS.firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively post your completed form to:
Sexual Health Promotions, Referrals, St Mary's Community Health Campus, Milton Road, Portsmouth PO3 6AD.
We will respond to you within 7 working days for non urgent referrals. We will provide feedback on referrals with the clients consent.